The sheer quantity of services demanded is closely linked to social and economic development, as security services are an integral part of society.
The most significant forces that drive demand for security services are:
- Increased privatization: The outsourcing of public security services needs to private actors is increasing.
- Investment in infrastructure: There is a greater need to safeguard infrastructure assets.
- Increased urbanization: Higher population density and greater social differences creates a need for additional security services.
- Growing middle class: People have more to protect and can also afford to do so.
- Continued industrialization: Increased global industrial activity leads to investments in for example factories and offices that all have specific security needs.